Tuesday, November 21, 2006

So long Robert Altman

Robert Altman passed away. So sad. He is one of my favorite directors even though I've only seen I think two of his movies.

My favorite film of his is the amaazing "Brewster McCloud" although I have at least a half-dozen others in my Netflix queue.

I don't think many people know that there were actually lyrics to the famous MASH theme ... its a stretch but they could be construed as related to his death -- well, to death at least.

Suicide is Painless

Its been performed by many. My favorite version is by surf rock group The Ventures. I didn't know this but apparently the lyrics were written by his son! ... and here is a horribly cheesy MIDI file of the song ... appropriate to his death in the darkly comic way that could be appropriate only to him:



Altman Dies at 81 [nytimes]

1 comment:

James said...

MIDI songs are awesome. Though I feel like I should be listening to it played by my Commodore-64 hooked up through a TV.

For you kids out there, a Commodore-64 is a kind of half-computer, half-computer game system for kids who couldn't afford an Apple (and I don't mean a Macintosh).